#notboredinFDL - Most Awesome Hashtag Ever!

I was pretty surprised to learn Fond du Lac was named “Wisconsin’s Most Boring City” in December.

Even more surprising (and inspiring) was that I learned of the #notboredinFDL twitter hashtag before I was aware of the article stating we are apparently boring. I saw several posts that stated the authors were indeed, NOT bored in Fond du Lac, and knew something must have happened!

I have lived here for my entire life and am thrilled to see positive developments all over the city. We are on the cusp of some very important changes in our social and cultural diversity – which is what will help guide our city to have more to offer.

My interest in the city is partly real estate of course, but so much more than that. You may know that I have a passion for historic homes (check out my Historic Properties of Fond du Lac Facebook page here) but truly my interests and passion lie in building up our community – for everyone on the socioeconomic scale.

First and foremost, building up this place we call home starts with pride. Pride of ownership and pride of community. Finding your own little corner of the world (or Fond du Lac!) and planting your flag there, and letting it be an expression of who you are. Taking care of that little corner of the world and being a steward or a custodian of it. After all, our homes, our buildings, our communities don’t really belong to us – we are not owners, we are the caretakers for future generations. This is an important responsibility.

And I am seeing this all over the place! I am encouraged to see older homes being brought back to life, businesses that welcome people of all walks of life, and groups (casual and formal) devoted to various and diverse passions springing up everywhere.

The criteria for the article’s “boring” cities was the lack of the number of establishments for 66 types of businesses (like breweries, art dealers, and museums) that make a city more “interesting.” I truly believe we are moving in the right direction and we are laying the groundwork for more diversity in business, residents, real estate and activities.


It’s on all of us to help Fond du Lac continue to grow!

Comments

Popular Posts